Delay of the Brexit - Update from 12 April 2019
The 27 remaining states in the EU and Great Britain have agreed to delay the deadline for the Brexit until 31 October 2019. Depending on further developments, we will update our information here. Regardless of this, we ask all British citizens living in Düsseldorf to continue to register with us online.
The United Kingdom is set to leave the European Union on 31 October 2019 (Brexit). Yet the conditions of the UK's withdrawal remain unclear.
- In future British citizens will require a residence permit or other proof of their right of residence for their stay in Germany.
- British citizens and their family members who already live in Düsseldorf can use the online form to register and apply for a residence permit.
- British citizens who are staying or wish to stay in Düsseldorf permanently (for more than three months) should take advantage of this opportunity to apply for a residence permit.
- The application ensures that previous residence rights of British citizens in Germany continue to exist after the Brexit until a decision has been taken on the application for a residence permit.
Consequences for the right of residence for British citizens in Germany in case of a "No-Deal Brexit"
- Within the transitional period of three months British citizens in Germany will be exempted from the requirement to possess a residence permit.
- By the expiration of the transitional period all British citizens should apply for a residence permit at their local Foreigners Registration Office.
- Until a decision has been made on the application, the applicant will be allowed to reside in Germany and to engage in economic activity of any kind.
Consequences for the right of residence for British citizens in Germany in case of a Brexit withdrawal agreement
- If the withdrawal agreement between the UK and the European Union is ratified, a transitional period of almost two years will exist directly after leaving the European Union on 31 October 2019. During that period Britain will continue to be treated as an EU Member State.
- Even in case of a ratified Brexit withdrawal agreement, British citizens will be required to apply for a residency document or status.
For further information about the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union (Brexit) please visit the following websites
Foreign & Commonwealth Office - Guidance Living in GermanyFederal Ministry of Interior, Building and Community - FAQs on right of residence in the context of Brexit
Before completing the online form, please bear in mind the following
- This form is only intended for British citizens and their family members, who are already residing in Düsseldorf. If you do not live in Düsseldorf, please contact your local Foreigners Registration Office.
- For families living together in one household the following applies: Please ensure that the form is only completed by one adult family member. Spouses and/or children under the age of 18 should be registered in the particularly designated field of the form.
- Adult children, who are living together in one household with their parents, should complete the form by themselves.
- If the UK's withdrawal from the European Union is to be stopped, all data will be deleted immediately.
- All data gathered via this online form will be processed in accordance to the General Data Protection Regulation.
What happens after you have completed the online form
- After having submitted the completed form, you will see a confirmation of your registration, which contains a summary of the information you have entered. We recommend that you record and/or print this summery for yourself and your family members. It serves as proof of your registration and your legal residence in Germany.
- From November 2019 onwards all British citizens, who have registered via the online form, will be invited for an appointment at the Foreigners Registration Office Düsseldorf. We are asking kindly for your patience during this process.
- If you are entitled to freedom of movement in Düsseldorf, your right of residence in Germany will continue to exist until the decision on your application has been taken by the Foreigners Registration Office Düsseldorf.
- Until that time, you (and your family members, if relevant) are entitled to engage in gainful employment. However, the prerequisite is that you accept the invitation of the Foreigners Registration Office Düsseldorf to attend to an interview.