Update from 03 February 2020
Depending on further information from the Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI) we will update our information here. Regardless of this, we ask all British citizens living in Düsseldorf to continue to register with us online.
The Withdrawal Agreement has been ratified by both the UK and the EU. Thus, on 31 January 2020, the United Kingdom's has left the European Union with a deal.
As a result of the Withdrawal Agreement, British citizens and their family members will continue to be treated in terms of residency as if Great Britain were still a member state of the European Union until the end of the transitional period (currently until 31 December 2020).
You therefore retain all your previous rights to freedom of movement, e.g. the right to engage in unrestricted employment, to receive child benefit, to apply for a public housing entitlement certificate (WBS).
British citizens who are already living in Germany or who transfer their place of residency to Germany during the transition period (until 31.December 2020) should be issued with a document as proof of their right of residence. This also applies to family members who are not British citizens. It is still unclear in what form these documents are to be issued. It is also not yet clear whether and to what extent fees will have to be charged for this. Further information on this is expected from the Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI).
For further information on the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union, please visit the following websites
GOV.UK - The transition period
Foreign & Commonwealth Office - Guidance Living in Germany
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Homeland Affairs - Questions and Answers on the Impact of the Brexit on the Status Rights of British Citizens
Before you fill out the online form, please note the following
- This online form is only for British citizens and their family members who already live in Düsseldorf. If you do not live in Düsseldorf, please contact your local immigration office.
- For families living together in a joint household, please only allow one adult family member to complete the form. Spouses and/or underage children are to be entered in the input field provided for this purpose.
- Children of full age who live together with their parents in a common household should fill in the online form themselves.
- The data requested by the online form will be processed in accordance with the basic data protection regulation.
What happens after filling in the online form
- After having submitted the completed form, you will see a confirmation of your registration, which contains a summary of the information you have entered. We recommend that you record and/or print this summery for yourself and your family members. It serves as proof of your registration and your legal residence in Germany.
- Since 03 February 2020, those British citizens who have registered using the online form have been successively invited by the Foreigners Registration Office to voluntary counselling appointments. During these appointments, declaratory certificates on the right of residence are also issued. Please understand that the processing will take some time.