Sankt Margareta in Gerresheim – the devil at work
When the builder Gerricus ran out of money, so the legend goes, the devil himself offered help in building the church of Sankt Margareta. Gerricus hesitated and the two decided on a competitive jump from the tower. The devil lost, the construction was completed and consecrated in 1236. Today, the late Roman church is evidence of the life of the noble canonesses who used the church at one time. It houses important exhibits of sacral art. The crucifix from the 10th century, which is among the oldest surviving crosses in Europe, is definitely worth seeing.
A stroll through the romantic town centre of Gerresheim or a walk through the hilly landscape of the forest close by round off the visit.
The Kaiser’s romantic place - Sankt Suitbertus
Off to idyllic Kaiserswerth! The church of Sankt Suitbertus is located in the immediate vicinity of the Kaiserpfalz palace and the banks of the Rhine, in one of the most beautiful places on the lower Rhine. The treasures of the church include the shrine of St. Suitbertus, a masterpiece of the goldsmith’s art from the 13th century. In the summer months, it is also possible to travel there by boat. The passenger ships of the Weißen Flotte (White Fleet) set sail for this historical part of the city from Düsseldorf’s Old Town.
Stargazer - Sankt Martin in Bilk
The Sankt Martin church in the Düsseldorf-Bilk district looks unobtrusive and modest, situated as it is in a small park. But it is well worth a visit: the Roman basilica is the oldest building in the city. In the 19th century, it had become completely dilapidated, but the city preserved the tower from being demolished, because it served the district’s observatory as a trigonometric point. A telescope still serves as a reminder.
The end justifies the means – horse stable and youth church
The crusaders probably never imagined, when the church was built in the year 1445, that it would later be used as a stable, a storage room and an income tax office. But that is in the past. Today, the Kreuzherrenkirche is once again a place of worship. In the vault of the Gothic church, you can see paintings from the time it was built and a keystone with the oldest preserved coat-of-arms of the city.
Rhine walk included - Sankt Nikolaus
Built in the 11th century, the Sankt Nikolaus parish church in the Himmelgeist city district is a well-preserved monument structure from the Romanesque period. Saint Nikolaus, the guardian patron of mariners, is among those saints whose protection those living along the great river already invoke. The sandy banks of the Rhine are within a stone’s throw and, when there is good weather, are ideal for sunbathing.
There’s music in the “Max”
Festive church music has been a tradition for three and a half centuries here: the late baroque parish church Sankt Maximilian, also lovingly referred to as “Max”, was a monastery of the Franciscans until 1804. The choir stalls date back to the 17th century, the organ, the high altar and the pulpit to the 18th century. The former monastery building with its valuable stucco works and impressive cloister today houses the vicarage and, since 2006, the community centre of the Catholic Church in Düsseldorf.
Probably the most stable church in the world
Upon its consecration in 1949 under the peace motto “Swords to Ploughshares and Spears to Pruning Hooks” (Isaiah 2:4), the Heerdter Bunker, a former icon of the war, became a symbol for peace and community. The Bunkerkirche place of worship hosts the St. Sakrament congregation. In addition to its religious services, the Bunkerkirche is also used for events, such as exhibitions and concerts of the Kunstort Bunkerkirche association in Handweiser, and is home to the Friedensort Bunkerkirche initiative, founded in 2007.